It has been reported that e-Book maker iRex has raised 6 million Euros in funding to help it make a breakthrough in the consumer market. Sony is the current leader in that space, if I remember correctly.
It’s not clear what iRex will do with the money, but I think that E-books are far from ready for mass adoption.
First, E-ink needs to be in color and the device itself has to be thinner. The battery life on the newest color e-Ink is very promising so we should be fine there. Secondly there needs to be more content, and that’s a hard sale for publishers as long as they don’t know how to produce, monetize and distribute their content. Unfortunately, that’s an “industry problem” that iRex is not likely to solve.
Next Story: Lack of interest for Mobile TV in Europe?
- 2012-06-14 Will the $85 price of Windows 8 RT Doom Windows 8 tablets? Probably Not.
- 2012-05-29 iPhone may be assembled in the U.S, "one day"
- 2012-05-27 Facebook hiring to build a smartphone? [again]
- 2012-04-24 HTC Business: It Will Get Worse Before It Gets Better
- 2012-04-19 iPad Or Your Wife? Disturbing Results from the Survey