Boxee is a media center based on XMBC that has a social component: in addition to browse and play media content from the computer or the internet, users can share it with their friends, send them recommendations etc…
The ATVUSB-creator installation is pretty technical and Boxee is still in private alpha, we might be able to get a few invitations for our readers. I did not test either Boxee or the ATV bootloader yet , so for those who already have an access code and want to try it for the AppleTV, read after the jump for the step by step “how-to” (provided by Boxee).
What level of geekness do you think you need to try this?
The process for updating an AppleTV with boxee/XBMC the steps are as follows:
Note: the ATVUSB-creator (the program used to create the patchstick with the ATV bootloader on it) is only available for Mac; Linux and PC versions will follow next week.
Step 1 – Download the ATVUSB-Creator from http://code.google.com/p/atvusb-creator/ (NEW URL!)
this is a different link than the Bootloader (http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/)
Step 2 – Insert a “bootable” USB drive into your Mac
Step 3 – Run the ATVUSB-Creator
- select which plug-ins you’d like to install
- this list will grow over time, but currently includes SSH, boxee, XBMC, and some binary utilities
Step 4 – Remove the USB drive and plug it into your AppleTV
Step 5 - Power on your AppleTV and the patchstick will run the ATV bootloader
- previously the patchstick program was unavailable
- people had to manually format their USB drive to be bootable and install the ATV bootloader.
Step 6 – After the bootloader finishes, remove it from your AppleTV
Step 7 – Restart your AppleTV
Step 8 – It now has options for Boxee / Xbmc on the main menu
Step 9 – Click on boxee, then select update (this will download boxee from the Internet)
Step 10 – Once boxee is done installing, restart your AppleTV
Step 11 – Click “boxee”, then select “boxee” in the sub-menu to start boxee
Next Story: Camera Phone Counts Infected Blood Cells
- 2013-11-22: Pharrell Launches 24-Hour Interactive Music Video For 'Happy'
- 2013-11-21: HBO GO Now Supports Google Chromecast Across iOS, Android, Web
- 2013-11-14: Digg iOS App Updated With Digg Video Support
- 2011-09-26: YouTube mobile offers a new experimental layout
- 2011-04-11: Tout: 15 Seconds Video Status Updates on Facebook and Twitter