HP teased us by putting partial information last week, but we had our hands on a couple of HP Mini 1000. We did not play with them long enough to write a review, but here are our first impression on their physical design. They are thin (less than 1″) and it shows. The Mini 1000 is a really cute computer. It is a cousin of the HP MiniNote 2133, but this one has a shiny plastic shell that seem resistant to scratches, but not as tough as the metallic body of the 2133. The keyboard has slightly curvy keys and it felt pretty good. Overall, this is a very nice design but we need to take a closer look at the cost. The base model starts at $399 and it features: 512MB RAM, 8GB SSD, 8.9″ Display. The upgrade to the 10.2″ display is $50. Specifications after the jump. More HP Mini 1000 photos in our gallery.
The HP Mini 1000 will come in three versions:
- HP Mini 1000: Available now (kind of, I could not find the configurator page). shiny black finish (above photo) with Windows XP Home and a 8.9 or 10.2″ display. Other details will be configurable at order time.
- HP Mini Vivienne Tam Edition: The imperial red version also called the “digital clutch”. It will be fancier and more expensive, but the price starts at $699.
- HP Mini 1000 with Mobile Internet Experience (MIE): MIE is a user-friendly front-end for a Linux version where all the primary functions are in a main screen (above photo). This version will come out in January for $379.
- Slick design
- Recessed USB port for the HP Mini Mobile Drive
- 10.2″ display
- Runs Youtube videos in Fullscreen
- Low storage capacity in the base version
- Display: 8.9″ (1024×600) or 10.2″ (1024×600)
- OS: Windows XP home SP3 or Linux with HP’s MIE (Mobile Internet Experience)
- CPU: Intel Atom N270 1.6Ghz
- Graphics: Intel GMA950 (optional HD decoding card)
- Memory: 512MB to 2GB of DDR2 533Mhz
- Hard drive: 60GB 4200rpm HDD or 8/16GB SSD
- Additional storage: 2 to 8GB HP Mini Mobile Drive
- Webcam: 0.3MP
- WIFI B/G, 10/100 wired Ethernet
- SD card Slot
- 2x USB
- Docking Port
- 3-Cell Battery (6 Cell is optional)
- Dimensions: 10.3 x 6.56 x 0.99 in / 261.6 x 166.6 x 25.13 mm
- Weight: Starting at 2.25 lbs/1.01 kg (with 8.9″) or 2.4lbs/1.08 kg (10.2″)
- Warranty: Limited 1-year and 90-day warranty options available, depending on country; Extended warranty available