Reports about a Social Networking Phone from Motorola have appeared left and right. This is unofficial of, but the words “social networking phone” comes from Motorola itself in a job posting.
First, I don’t think that a particular physical phone design would help decisively when it comes to social networking, so this has to be either a strong software suite, or this might just be a marketing positioning. Given Motorola’s track of record, the latter seems more likely – just like some phones are “music phones” while others are “SMS-phones”.
Assuming that it would be a strong software suite (I’m going out on a limb…), this could be interesting for carriers, as they could charge more for data or sell more unlimited data-plans to the “social junkies”. Good thinking, but don’t forget that the phone has to be sexy too – oh, and that makes it expensive… Let’s wait and see, but hopefully Motorola won’t forget that a phone’s killer app is… voice.
- 2011-06-01: Qualcomm Keynote @ Uplinq 2011
- 2011-05-31: T-Mobile Will Ride HSPA+ to 672Mbps. Possibly Beyond
- 2011-05-25: Sony Ericsson revamps strategy, will release new models but stop software support, says Eldar Murtazin
- 2011-05-24: iPhone 3GS won't be upgraded to iOS 5.x, says Eldar Murtazin
- 2011-05-10: Google I/O 2011 wrap-up