The iPhone Dev Team has confirmed that the jailbreak* for the iPhone 3.0 firmware is already ready to go. Of course, the team will probably wait until version 3.0 is available (“this summer”) to all before releasing their jailbreak.
The team is issuing a warning to YellowSnow users (their iPhone unlock software) to stay away from the firmware 3.0 because YellowSnow is not ready yet and could create an irreversible change.
*If you don’t know what “jailbreak” means: normally, only iPhone apps that have been approved by Apple can work on the iPhone. After the jailbreak, any iPhone app will run, approved or not.
The iPhone Dev-team has posted a video that shows an iPhone 3G with OS 3.0 running non-approved apps (Jailbreak) on the T-mobile USA network (unlock)
Because the unlocking process can be confusing, we recommend you to read the iPhone Dev-Team’s instructions thoroughly.
New PwnageTool for Mac OS X released. Note from the iPhone Dev-Team:
GOLDEN RULE: If you are using a 3G iPhone with yellowsn0w and rely on yellowsn0w to obtain cellular service, then you should NOT use PwnageTool right now. UltraSn0w is not included with this release and therefore your baseband will be locked and unable to use an operator other than the official one it was bought for. UltraSn0w will be release via APT (cydia and icy) soon. If you have an original iPhone (1st generation) then 3.0 unlock works with this PwnageTool release.
George Hotz has released an alternate Jailbreak for the iPhone 3GS, called Purplera1n.
Next Story: GMail Introduces Undo Send
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2013-03-29: iOS 7 Jailbreak May Already Be In The Works
- 2013-03-04: iOS 6 Jailbreak Evasi0n Installed On Over 14 Million Devices
- 2013-02-08: iOS 6 Jailbreak Evasi0n Unlocks Nearly 7 Million Devices Within Four Days
- 2013-02-06: Apple Reminds iOS Users The Dangers Of Jailbreaking Their Devices
- 2009-06-10: iPhone OS 3.0 Jailbreak In The Works