[CTIA 09] We wrote about the rumor on Friday but now it is official, Reuters just published it: Skype will launch its service for iPhone on Tuesday during a press conference at CTIA, and it will be available in May for BlackBerry. Skype for iPhone allows to use the phone numbers directly from the iPhone address book, so users do not need duplicate lists. According to Ben Wood, CCS Insight analyst, this a unique and important feature. Skype is looking to expand its 400 million user base and no wonder that going mobile on the most popular phones will help. According to Bernard Lunn’s article on Read Write Web, the company has $500 million in revenue (2008) in the telecom market that currently represents $2 trillion, and Skype is growing at a 30% to 40% rate (according to the company). The telecom market size will decrease in the near future since voice will become cheaper overtime, and Skype is in a good position to become dominant in this game.
Next Story: HDF10P 1-inch SSD Hits 8GB
- 2013-11-14 Digg iOS App Updated With Digg Video Support
- 2011-04-14 myShopanion: Social Shopping App for iPhone with Refined Search Results
- 2010-03-17 Paypal Send Money App for iPhone - Version 2.0
- 2010-03-31 MightyMeeting: Share Presentations over iPhone and iPad
- 2010-10-21 Scandit: Free Social Shopping iPhone App