The rumor du jour is that Apple is negotiating with Twitter to acquire the fast-growing micro blogging site. Previous rumors involved Google buying the service. A Google acquisition would make sense, as they don’t have a good real-time “probe” what what’s happening. They have blog search, but it is not real-time.
When it comes to a Twitter acquisition by Apple, that seems extremely unlikely simply because there’s no long term strategic affinity between the two companies. Apple can’t turn Twitter into a strategic advantage without alienating the majority of PC users. We could talk about a better Twitter integration, but really, how much value does it add for mass market products like Apple’s – especially given that 60% of Twitterers are Quitterers. Obviously, anything is possible, but we would be shocked if Apple was going for Twitter. At best, they’ll make some kind of deal, but that’s it.
Update: There’s also a rumor about Apple buying EA this morning. It seems equally unfoundedRELATED
- iPhone 3GS won't be upgraded to iOS 5.x, says Eldar Murtazin
- Microsoft launches anti-Apple campaign, doesn't get it
- iPhone tracking bug fix coming, says Apple
- Study: Mac People Like To Throw Parties, Be Perceived as Unique
- Your Apple device knows where you've been, and keeps a log
- Follow: acquisition, Apple Inc, twitter,
- Seen at: techcrunch