The rumor du jour is that Apple is negotiating with Twitter to acquire the fast-growing micro blogging site. Previous rumors involved Google buying the service. A Google acquisition would make sense, as they don’t have a good real-time “probe” what what’s happening. They have blog search, but it is not real-time.
When it comes to a Twitter acquisition by Apple, that seems extremely unlikely simply because there’s no long term strategic affinity between the two companies. Apple can’t turn Twitter into a strategic advantage without alienating the majority of PC users. We could talk about a better Twitter integration, but really, how much value does it add for mass market products like Apple’s – especially given that 60% of Twitterers are Quitterers. Obviously, anything is possible, but we would be shocked if Apple was going for Twitter. At best, they’ll make some kind of deal, but that’s it.
Update: There’s also a rumor about Apple buying EA this morning. It seems equally unfounded
- 2014-04-22 NYPD Twitter Effort Ends Up As A Disaster
- 2014-04-22 ‘Speed’ Movie Recreated On Twitter
- 2014-04-22 Twitter Could Help Predict Crime
- 2014-04-18 Twitter Parody Account Results In Police Raid At Home
- 2014-04-17 Twitter Introduces 'App Install' Ads
- 2013-01-29 Apple Removes Vine
- 2012-08-06 iCloud account of Mat Honan hacked
- 2011-11-23 HTC reconsidering S3 Graphics buyout after loss to Apple
- 2011-11-09 Amazon may have purchased Yap, could be interested in speech recognition technology too
- 2011-11-02 Meet The Tweet lets you follow Twitter feeds without an account