The rumor du jour is that Apple is negotiating with Twitter to acquire the fast-growing micro blogging site. Previous rumors involved Google buying the service. A Google acquisition would make sense, as they don’t have a good real-time “probe” what what’s happening. They have blog search, but it is not real-time.
When it comes to a Twitter acquisition by Apple, that seems extremely unlikely simply because there’s no long term strategic affinity between the two companies. Apple can’t turn Twitter into a strategic advantage without alienating the majority of PC users. We could talk about a better Twitter integration, but really, how much value does it add for mass market products like Apple’s – especially given that 60% of Twitterers are Quitterers. Obviously, anything is possible, but we would be shocked if Apple was going for Twitter. At best, they’ll make some kind of deal, but that’s it.
Update: There’s also a rumor about Apple buying EA this morning. It seems equally unfounded
- 2014-04-17: Twitter Introduces 'App Install' Ads
- 2014-04-16: Twitter Picks Up Gnip
- 2014-04-15: Turkey And Twitter Have Not Arrived At Any Tax Deal Yet
- 2014-04-14: American Airlines Receives Additional Bomb Threats After Dutch Girl’s Arrest
- 2014-04-14: US Airways Tweets Apology To Customer
- 2013-01-29: Apple Removes Vine
- 2012-08-06: iCloud account of Mat Honan hacked
- 2011-11-23: HTC reconsidering S3 Graphics buyout after loss to Apple
- 2011-11-09: Amazon may have purchased Yap, could be interested in speech recognition technology too
- 2011-11-02: Meet The Tweet lets you follow Twitter feeds without an account