iSupply has done an analysis of the iPhone 3GS and estimates that the bill of material and the assembly cost about $179 (iPhone 3GS 16GB). That doesn’t take into account other things like marketing, shipping and R&D.
The cost is very comparable to the iPhone 3G 8GB model that iSupply previously looked at , although one would believe that the component prices for that other model went down (a little) as well.
That’s the wonderful thing with electronics: it gets faster and better – or much cheaper, pressuring tech companies to go ever faster in a race against devaluation that ultimately benefit the end user. More details in the full post.
Next Story: Zune HD To Launch In September (Rumor)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2014-04-14: More Alleged iPhone 6 Molds Surface, Hints At 4.7-inch Display
- 2009-06-10: iPhone 3GS Has Twice the RAM (Confirmed)
- 2009-06-25: iPhone 3GS Induces 400% Uptick In YouTube Mobile Uploads
- 2009-08-05: 8GB iPhone 3GS info spotted, is the iPhone 3G going away soon?