DoCoMo has announced that it is working on the Solar Hybrid phone, which is a “solar-powered” phone that is also rugged enough to be “waterproof”, according to DoCoMo. On the feature side, it comes with a 8 Megapixel camera, which makes us think that it is great for those who like going outdoors.
Now, let’s clarify what DoCoMo means by “solar-powered”. The phone cannot run on solar power alone, so you should see this as “solar assisted”. Here’s the bottom-line: 10 minutes in direct sunlight will yield 1 minute of talk time. Also, “waterproof” really means “water-resistant”: the phone can stay in the water for 30mn and no deeper than 1 meter. [Docomo announcement]
Next Story: O2 Toshiba TG01 Infected?
- 2014-04-14: Kyocera Installs Solar Cycle Station For Electric Vehicles In Japan
- 2014-04-09: Solar Impulse 2 Wants To Circle The World On Solar Power Alone
- 2014-04-08: Nokia Solar Energy Suit Could Offer Alternative Phone Charging Option
- 2014-04-02: Ecoppia E4 Robots Clean Solar Panels Without Using Water
- 2014-03-17: Solar Power Harvested From Space Beamed Down To Earth
- 2013-12-02: Luna Ring Harvests Solar Energy On Moon For Use On Earth
- 2012-07-17: Japanese village relies on solar power to get their juice on
- 2012-04-12: Japan University to install photovoltaic panels on building