With the Exilim EX-G1, Casio enters in for in the rugged camera territory with a camera that can thrive in places where most cameras wouldn’t even survive. With its two-layer body (steel + polycarbonate), the Exilim EX-G1 is protected from shocks, dirt and humidity. How much protection are we talking about? According to Casio, the camera can survive drops from 7 feet (2.13m) and be plunged 3m deep underwater for one hour.
Physically, the Exilim EX-G1 is 19.9mm thick and has a non-extending 3X optical zoom (38-114mm). In the back, there’s a 2.5″ LCD display that is protected by an acrylic plate. The impact zones (zones where the camera is likely to fall on) are ruggedized and it is even possible to add a detachable protector similar to the one found in the Casio GzOne rugged phone – the one that started it all.
The Casio EX-G1 snaps 12 Megapixel photos and can record YouTube-friendly movies . It can be taken for a snorkeling session, that’s why Casio has added some post processing that should compensate for how differently lighting is underwater (bluish or greenish). This much less scary that using a “normal” camera with a waterproof casing, we think.
Overall, the features are quite impressive. It is really pretty hard to build something with so many buttons plus a removable memory card in an “watertight” way. You don’t need to be an Indiana Jones to benefit from it. In general, it just means that you think more about having fun, and less about protecting your camera. $300 MSRP.
Next Story: ATI announces Radeon HD 5970
- 2013-11-14 Casio Exilim EX-10 Announced
- 2013-09-02 Casio Claims They Are Prepared For Smartwatches From The Competition
- 2013-08-08 New Casio G-Shock Watches Come With Bluetooth And Other Features
- 2013-06-25 Verizon Casio G'zOne Commando 4G LTE
- 2013-06-11 Alleged Casio Commando 4G LTE Leaked
- 2011-04-04 Casio Exilim EX-S200 gets Astro Boy treatment with limited edition model
- 2009-05-07 Casio Exilim Pro EX-F1 Review
- 2009-08-31 Casio Exilim EX-Z280 digital camera
- 2010-01-06 Casio Exilim EX-Z2000 digital camera
- 2010-02-25 Casio Exilim Rilakkuma edition