Could Facebook and Google become competitors soon? Aside from getting a new facelift to commemorate its 6th birthday, a recent report hints that Facebook might be gearing up to provide its own full webmail service, which will obviously have to take on the giants such as Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo mail. If the report is accurate, the webmail service will make use of your Facebook vanity URL, so if your vanity URL is johndoe, you’ll get firstname.lastname@example.org. This would be a significant departure from the current messaging service that it’s offering, and if Facebook really does roll out a webmail service with full POP/IMAP support, it will certainly be interesting to see how it matches up to the competition, with some folks even dubbing it a “Gmail killer”.
Next Story: Is Google Store View The Next Big Thing?
- 2014-04-14: Google Picks Up Titan Aerospace Before Facebook Can
- 2014-04-14: Facebook Reportedly Working On An E-Money Service
- 2014-04-10: Facebook Makes Improvements To Reduce News Feed Spam
- 2014-04-10: FTC Clears Facebook/WhatsApp Deal, Must Honor Privacy Obligations
- 2014-04-09: Facebook To Remove In-App Messaging, Forces Users To Download Messenger App
- 2014-03-26: Google Denies Allegations Of Gmail Snooping To Weed Out Leaker
- 2014-03-04: Yahoo Will Soon Start Blocking Google And Facebook Accounts From Its Services
- 2013-12-11: Microsoft Entices Gmail Users To Join Outlook.com Through New Tool
- 2013-10-03: Yahoo Sued For Keyword Scanning In Emails
- 2010-06-04: Evidence Of Free MobileMe As User Account Type Changed?