We previously reported on a suspected iPhone 4G leak, who would have thought that it would be the real deal? It seems that the folks over at Gizmodo managed to get it from someone who “found it in a bar” (we thought that Apple chained their test devices to tables?). After putting it under the knife, it looks very much like the real deal. You have to admit, it looks like the most credible of of all the devices that we’ve seen so far. The new screen has a much higher resolution, there’s a real flash in the back and a front-camera (Skype might go to the next level soon). Check out the full post for the details and a video.
John Gruber from Daring Fireball says that his contact from Apple told him that the back of the next iPhone is made from some kind of fancy “glass”. He points out that Apple has obtained a patent for a ceramic glass-like, scratch-proof, enclosure. The justification to use this is that the ceramic enclosure would not block radio waves. Interesting read. John also says that Apple considers the unit to be “stolen”
- A front-facing camera
- Improved camera on the back with a larger lens
- Camera flash
- Micro-SIM cards instead of the standard SIM. Same with that used in the iPad
- Improved display, but it’s hard to tell if it’s the rumored 960 x 460 resolution
- Something that looks like a secondary microphone, possibly for noise cancellation
- Split buttons for volume
- Power, mute and volume buttons are all metallic.
- The back is entirely flat, possibly made from glass or something ceramic.
- An aluminum border
- Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS, but apparently higher resolution
- Square-ish design
- 3 grams heavier
- 16% larger battery
- Reduced internal component size to accommodate larger battery
Update: Seems like Apple has more or less confirmed that this device is the real deal, since it has written a letter to Gizmodo, asking for the device to be returned.
Next Story: More BlackBerry Pearl 9105 T9 Keyboard Pictures
- 2014-04-24 The Feeling Skin Is An iPhone Battery Case And More
- 2014-04-23 iPhone 6's Metal Casings Could Be Supplied By Catcher [Rumor]
- 2014-04-23 Apple Sells 43.7 Million iPhones, 16.3 Million iPads In Q2 2014
- 2014-04-22 Fading Carrier Subsidies May Hit High-End Smartphones
- 2014-04-22 5.5-inch iPhone Delayed To 2015 [Rumor]
- 2011-04-19 iOS 5 leaked on video is probably iOS 4
- 2011-04-15 White iPhone 4 spotted in leaked Verizon inventory listing
- 2011-03-16 iPhone 5 shape suggested by leaked case renders
- 2011-03-09 64GB iPhone 4 caught on video
- 2010-06-10 Samsung takes a stab at Apple's Retina Display, explained