This is still very much a rumor at this point in time, so we’d suggest you take it with a pinch of salt. Word is going around the ARM Holdings, the company behind the popular ARM processors, could be acquired by Apple for around $8 billion dollars. Despite it still being a rumor, shares of ARM Holdings have gone up a juicy 8 percent today. While $8 billion is certainly a huge figure, let’s not forget that Apple has over $40 billion in cash reserves, so it’s not like the fruity company is short of cash.
Such an acquisition would give Apple some major chip technology, giving Apple the chance of further improving its A4 chip that’s used in the iPad. Aside from that, if Apple were to acquire ARM, it could potentially mean that Apple could deny competitors access to ARM’s technology, which would greatly affect the mobile devices market.
As we mentioned, this is still very much a rumor, so we’ll have to sit back and see if it turns out to be real or just some idle chatter that’s going around. What do you think, though?RELATED
- Cellular Retina iPad Mini Supply Still Appears To Be Tight
- Razer Kazuyo iPhone Gamepad Leaked
- Apple iBeacon Deployed To 254 Stores To Help Guide Shoppers
- iPhone 5s Shipping Times Improve To 1-3 Days
- Report Claims Touch ID's Accuracy Degrades Over Time
- Follow: acquisition, Apple Inc, ARM,
- Seen at: mashable