OmniVision Technologies has just introduced its latest achievement, the OV2720 which is basically a 1/6-inch native 1080p high-definition CMOS image sensor, making it the very the first of its kind which is able to offer 1080p High Definition resolution. Don’t be surprised to see this sensor make its way into a plethora of other gizmos such as notebooks, netbooks, webcams, and video conferencing applications. The OV2720 will rely on a proprietary sensor technology to improve image quality, so you might want to be more careful with how you look the next time someone wants to take a video recording of the office and its cubicle peons. Heck, the sensor itself is capable of 1080p video despite being small enough to meet the module and height requirements of today’s thin notebook designs. Expect mass production o the OV2720 to occur this coming June, which probably means we will see the sensor being integrated in other devices before the year is over.
Next Story: Amazon looks to include games in new Kindle
- 2013-10-14: OmniVision Introduces OmniGlass Reference Design
- 2013-05-03: Omnivision's OV2724 Sensor Will Bring 1080p Recording To Front-Facing Phone Cameras
- 2013-01-18: OmniVision Announces Video-in-Video Camera Technology For Smartphones And Tablets
- 2012-10-31: OmniVision OV8835 8-megapixel image sensor
- 2012-05-31: OmniVision unveils 12.7 megapixel OV12830 for high-end smartphones and tablets