Are you a Facebook user? If so, then you probably have a 20% chance of being victim of the latest fiasco, where a cool 100 million Facebook user details (out of 500 million) were collected and published for all and sundry to see by a security consultant. According to Ron Bowles, he used a piece of code to scan Facebook profiles, and went ahead to collect data which was not hidden by the user’s privacy settings. The list has been made available to the masses as a downloadable file, where it also holds the URL of every searchable Facebook user’s profile, their name and unique ID. Needless to say, this file has spread like wildfire across the Internet, being downloaded over a thousand times on the Pirate Bay. Facebook isn’t too peturbed by this as they issued a statement saying the information in the list was already freely available online, and no private data is available or has been compromised.
- 2014-04-22: WhatsApp Now Has Half A Billion Active Users
- 2014-04-20: Facebook Paper App For iOS Updated
- 2014-04-20: Facebook Rumored To Launch Their Own Mobile Ad Network
- 2014-04-17: Facebook Nearby Friends Feature Introduced
- 2014-04-16: Facebook Acquisition Will Make Sense In A Year, According To Oculus VR's Founder