German DSL provider 1&1 has just announced their very own Android-powered 1&1 SmartPad tablet that comes with a 7″ LCD WVGA touchscreen display and Wi-Fi N connectivity, although it misses out on 3G connectivity, let alone EDGE support. On the bright side, if you want an Internet connection anytime and anywhere you are (subject to signal strength, of course), a USB WWAN dongle can be used to stand in as a wireless bridge to 2G or 3G connections. Some of the specific applications which come pre-installed include a music player, digital picture frame functionality and access to 1&1 Video-on-Demand service maxdome. Expect the SmartPad to be powered by an ARM 11 500MHz processor, coupled with 256MB RAM and 1GB ROM. While you might be disappointed that it ships with Android 1.6 at the moment, an Android 2.2 update is due later this September, but you won’t be able to take advantage of the Android Market since it is not pre-installed. Instead, you will need to rely on a propriety app store that currently has around 100 applications – bummer! This looks set to be a Germany-only Android tablet at the moment.
- 2014-01-07: Samsung Galaxy Note Pro and Galaxy Tab Pro Series – hands-on review
- 2013-12-10: HP EliteBook Revolve G2
- 2013-12-10: Quark A Kickstarter Project That Help Kids Learn Via Fun
- 2013-12-06: No Glasses 3D Tablet Makes 3D Viewing More Convenient
- 2013-09-06: LG G Pad: Hands On Review