Saurik, of Cydia fame, has demonstrated the jailbreak app store running on an iPhone 4, so hopefully a jailbreak for Apple’s latest smartphone will be released soon. Now that the DMCA has been amended to permit jailbreaking legally, there shouldn’t be much in the way of the law stopping users who felt compelled to resist the urge due to legal or moral reasons. However, if something goes wrong, it is still unclear if Apple will still honor your warranty.
Unlike the teased Geohot jailbreak for iPhone 4, Saurik’s jailbreak is real and was demoed on video.
A jailbroken iPhone can add apps and functionality beyond what is envisioned by Apple, including applications that may have been initially rejected or would not be approved for the official App Store. These tweaks, modifications, and added features will make the iPhone more usable from a power user perspective.
Next Story: Android 3.0 Spotted Running on Nexus One
- 2014-03-11: iPhone 4 Gets New Lease On Life With iOS 7.1
- 2014-02-05: iPhone 4 Production Resumed For Select Markets [Report]
- 2014-01-21: Apple iPhone 4 Relaunched In India
- 2014-01-14: 8GB iPhone 4 Reportedly Launching In India To Boost Sales
- 2013-09-13: The PocketPlug Is An iPhone Case With A Built-In Charger
- 2011-07-15: iPhone 4 rolling shutter effect used to capture guitar strings vibrating on video
- 2011-04-19: iOS 5 leaked on video is probably iOS 4
- 2011-04-05: GoPano micro lets you capture 360º videos with an iPhone 4
- 2011-03-31: Hasbro MY3D available April 3
- 2011-03-09: 64GB iPhone 4 caught on video