Samsung has announced that they will no longer be present in the e-paper panel production industry, citing reasons such as “cost issues” alongside having a dim view of e-paper’s future. Of course, one can never predict anything correctly (even Paul the Octopus got it wrong before), but it is interesting to see a global giant like Samsung actually heading away from the e-paper future instead of leading the way. This will not be the end of Samsung’s participation in the e-book reader market though, as they will release a new model next year that, to nobody’s surprise, will eschew e-paper in favor of an LCD display instead. Part of their pessimism might be the poor sales from their e-book readers launched to date. We think that there is a market for e-paper panels, and it is the responsibilities of companies to grow that niche and make it happen.
- 2014-04-15: Know Your Samsung Gear Compatibility
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Galaxy S5 4K UHD Footage Recorded
- 2014-04-15: Galaxy S5 Versus HTC One M8, iPhone 5s, Nexus 5 In Torture Test
- 2014-04-15: Verizon Galaxy S5 Sale On Amazon Kicks Off
- 2014-04-15: Samsung Reportedly Expects To Ship 35M Galaxy S5 Units This Quarter
- 2009-10-29: Samsung 10.1-inch e-paper paraded