With Verizon and AT&T looking to focus on LTE, WiMAX has a serious challenge on its hand, so it’s probably good news that the successor to WiMAX, namely WiMAX 2, will have its standard finalized in November this year, with hardware expected to be certified in 2011, and rolled out in 2012. The benefits of WiMAX 2 will include theoretical speeds of up to 1Gbps for downloads, which does sound interesting on paper. Will WiMAX 2 arrive in time to compete with LTE? Only time will tell.
- 2013-04-24: FreedomPop Announces Sprint-Friendly Hotspot For $40
- 2013-04-10: AT&T Rolls Out LTE To Six New Markets
- 2012-05-11: FreedomPop's 4G hotspot iPhone sleeve now available for pre-order
- 2012-03-21: FreedomPop's iPhone case offers WiMax hotspots wherever you go
- 2012-01-17: Samsung Galaxy S2 WiMAX announced for Japan
- 2011-11-16: Sharp unveils 7" Galapagos tablet
- 2011-07-15: Verizon LTE phones might be incompatible with AT&T's network
- 2011-02-09: BlackBerry PlayBook coming to Verizon?