The iPod touch has long been touted to be an iPhone without the phone bit thrown in, but lately there has been accessories that turn it into an impromptu iPhone, although you would be better off getting the real thing. Entering into the fourth generation now, what does Apple have in store for the user? For starters, it will come with an A4 processor that is similar to the one found in the iPhone, delivering great video and image quality thanks to its Retina Display (read more about how the Retina Display performs in our iPhone 4 review) while sporting a 3-axis gyroscope, separate volume buttons, a front facing camera (boy did this feature have plenty of leaks prior to the event!), iOS 4.1, and FaceTime support…over Wi-Fi, of course. Looks like the last minute rumors on the iPod touch were spot on.
It also has a rear camera that does High Definition video recording when the situation calls for it, and coming in a slimmer form factor has certainly made a desirable object all the more so. Could better hardware and design, coupled with more support in the form of great looking games seriously threaten Nintendo and Sony’s market share in the portable gaming niche? Definitely according to Apple, as they tout having more than 50% of the market share for portable gaming worldwide. You can choose from 8GB, 32GB and 64GB models for $229, $299 and $399, respectively. Shipping commences next week, so place your pre-orders today!
- 2013-06-27: Skype Updates iPhone App To Support Video Messaging Feature
- 2013-06-17: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Releasing On iOS June 20
- 2013-06-14: Microsoft Office Available On iPhone; Requires Office 365 Subscription
- 2013-05-30: Apple Files $53 Million Settlement Concerning Wet iPhones And iPod Touch Models
- 2013-05-30: 100 Million iPod Touch Units Sold And Counting
- 2013-01-28: Budget iPhone Could Be A Frankenstein Phone Borrowing From iPhone 5, iPod Touch [Rumor]
- 2012-12-26: iPod Touch Design Patent Awarded
- 2012-09-12: iPod touch (2012) enters the fifth generation
- 2012-08-14: iPad Mini to look like bigger iPod Touch with thin bezels?