Boffins at the University of Michigan are currently working on laser systems that aim to deliver protection for military helicopters from heat-seeking missiles. These lasers are not of the Star Wars variety where they shoot down the missiles – no sir, instead, they will jam incoming missiles’ sensors to blind them. While this isn’t the first time such technology is used for a purpose as this, it seems to work better for helicopters than other forms of airborne travel. One of the main advantages of this system would be a simple design as well as off-the-shelf fiber optic parts. Let’s hope its get implemented soon before more lives are lost in conflicts all over the world.
- 2014-04-08: Navy Engineers To Deploy Laser Weapon Later This Summer
- 2014-03-03: RC Helicopters Allegedly Help Lady ‘Fly’
- 2014-02-18: U.S. Navy Set To Deploy First Laser On Ship This Year
- 2013-09-10: Laser Capable Of Detecting Bombs
- 2013-07-02: Nike Launches Laser Soccer Field Service In Spain [Video]
- 2013-05-28: Homemade Lightsaber Featuring 3W Laser Burns Through Stuff
- 2010-09-03: Laser Powered Helicopter Paves The Way For Space Elevators