Remember the Ghostbusters cartoon that captured the imagination of millions of children a couple of decades ago? Well, this new portable backpack laser system will not zap any otherworldly denizens into oblivion nor will it fry marshmallows, but it is full well capable of mapping interior environments. Funded by the US Air Force, the scientists at the University of California, Berkeley have yet to refine its looks since functionality takes precedence over form at the moment. Currently, interior mapping might take anywhere from a few days up to a week or more,, but this laser backpack aims to shorten the mapping time since it can work without being leashed to a robot, hence collecting data on-the-fly while the wearer is walking around an area.
- 2014-04-08 Navy Engineers To Deploy Laser Weapon Later This Summer
- 2014-02-18 U.S. Navy Set To Deploy First Laser On Ship This Year
- 2013-09-10 Laser Capable Of Detecting Bombs
- 2013-07-02 Nike Launches Laser Soccer Field Service In Spain [Video]
- 2013-05-28 Homemade Lightsaber Featuring 3W Laser Burns Through Stuff