The Sony PSP2 has been rumored in the past, but so many years and a handful of model iterations over time have yet to yield a sequel to Sony’s handheld portable console. Well, in a PAX 2010 interview concerning the upcoming Mortal Kombat reboot, Executive Producer Shaun Himmerick made it known (was it a slip of the tongue?) that there is a PSP2 under development currently, where a prototype unit is residing at Netherrealm Studios.
“We’re not launching day one on all consoles like that. We are looking at them; we have a PSP2 in the house and we’re looking at the engine, like what can it support. Always a big thing for us is the performance. We’re running at 60 fps, what can we do and do we have to build all the art assets over. We’re definitely looking at them. PSP2 looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine. We don’t have a 3DS system in house yet, but we’re looking to get one, and we’ll certainly look at what its power is.”
This will certainly shake up the gaming industry by quite a bit, and will the PSP2 have enough firepower overall (and not just in terms of hardware) to overthrow Nintendo at its game?
Next Story: Samsung offers Epic 4G OTA firmware update
- 2014-04-17: PS4 Update 1.70 To Feature SHAREfactory
- 2014-04-16: Sony Has Difficulty Meeting Demand For The PS4
- 2014-04-16: Sony's PS4 Sales Crosses The 7 Million Mark
- 2014-04-16: Sony Xperia SP Users Experiencing Screen Flickering After Recent Update
- 2014-04-16: Sony's New 4K TVs Will Be Released In The U.S. This June
- 2011-06-06: PS Vita will almost certainly be the NGP's new name
- 2011-06-01: More 'proof' supports NGP's new name is PS Vita
- 2011-04-23: Will Resistance use the NGP's camera to pick up weapons?
- 2011-04-15: NGP still on track for a 2011 release
- 2011-04-07: NGP's official name, pricing and launch games to be announced at E3