It has been reported that Apple and Rovi have signed a multi-year agreement, and as such, speculation is going around that Apple might be interested in Rovi’s interactive television program guides as part of an initiative into live TV and DVR capabilities, even going as far to speculate the possibility of a Apple Television product in the next 2-4 years. That being said, it’s worth mentioning that Apple is already a customer of Rovi, as the company provides metadata for iTunes Store content, so it isn’t clear if the multi-year agreement is the beginning of a new Apple product, or if it’s related to an existing deal that Apple has with Rovi over the iTunes Store.
- 2013-02-13 Apple Television SDK in May 2013? [Analyst]
- 2013-02-08 Apple Mysteriously Hires AMOLED Expert From LG
- 2012-12-19 Apple Tests HDTV Prototypes
- 2011-12-02 PlayStation's Ken Kutaragi working on something "totally cool"
- 2011-11-18 CES 2012 expected to introduce 30-50 new ultrabooks
- 2011-11-17 Analysts believe an Amazon Android smartphone is in the works
- 2011-09-16 3G iPad 2 marked as "discontinued" at Target?
- 2011-09-12 iOS 5 to reach Golden Master status by end of September?