It was previously reported that Microsoft was looking to hire someone to work on a next-generation Zune release, and now Mary J. Foley of ZDNet has received an insider tip saying that the next-generation Zune will be more than just a rumor. The devices will be available in 16, 32, and 64 GB sizes and that we may hear of an announcement alongside Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 launch this October.
An updated Zune music and media player makes sense considering that Microsoft had ported much of the Zune system into Windows Phone 7 and the Zune hardware is getting old now. There’s no indication whether the next-generation Zune release will be something akin to the iPod Touch–a Windows Phone 7 device sans phone features–or if it will be an integrated gaming device with Xbox integration or a hybrid of both.
- 2013-11-13: Microsoft Retiring Zune Marketplace As Early As November 22
- 2012-04-26: Microsoft rumored to unveil cross-platform Zune successor at E3 later this year
- 2012-02-06: Free Zune pass for one year with Windows Phone purchase
- 2011-10-27: Zune Music heading Down Under this November 16th
- 2011-10-10: Zune HD killed yet again
- 2009-08-14: Microsoft to court the best iPhone developers? You bet!
- 2009-09-02: Older Zune models discontinued
- 2009-09-17: Zune HD Review Round Up
- 2009-10-24: Zune HD Review
- 2010-04-09: Zune HD 64 now available