This is still very much a rumor at this point but word is going around that Apple is working with SIM card manufacturer Gemalto to design a special SIM card that is capable of working with any carrier. If the rumors are true, then the SIM card is designed as a means to weaken carriers’ hold on the device manufacturer while allowing consumers more choice when it comes to carriers. With the new mechanism, users will be able to purchase an iPhone from the online Apple Store directly and activate the phone easily. Of course, such a device would still need to take into account the different types of networks that carriers use, but it’s an interesting idea.
- 2014-03-12: Vodafone Germany Begins To Introduce SIM Card Based Encryption
- 2011-11-23: iPhone 4S SIM card issues
- 2011-11-11: Giesecke & Devrient to debut nano SIM in Paris next week
- 2011-09-22: Google branded SIM card spotted in Spain
- 2011-09-15: SK Telecom to introduce NFC SIM card for $40
- 2011-05-18: Apple has plans for smaller SIM card