Alongside of the launch of the Ziio tablets, Creative also debuted a small personal media player by the name of the Zen Touch 2, which also runs on the Android operating system. Seen as a rival to the Samsung Galaxy Player, the Zen Touch 2 features a 3.2-inch touchscreen, 2-megapixel rear camera, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth, 8 GB or 16 GB built-in storage, micro SDHC support, RCA out, and GPS capabilities as a premium. The GPS functionality is rare on a standalone MP3 player sans phone functionality as this inclusion will help the Zen Touch 2 serve as a navigation unit in addition to music play back. Because it lacks constant Internet connection–unless you’re powering it with a MiFi unit or travel in heavily blanketed WiFi zones–you’ll probably need a standalone GPS navigation program with locally stored maps on a memory card, like the recently released Navigon for Android or CoPilot.
The Zen Touch 2 will initially be released in Singapore. The 8 GB model will cost $217 and 16 GB will go for $248. GPS will only be available in 8 GB capacity, and that model will go for $232. An international launch will follow soon.
In addition to the Zen Touch 2, Creative is also releasing Bluetooth streaming headphones. The WP-300 supports the apt-X format for lossless Bluetooth audio, can charge from USB, and is expected to go on sale for $116 per pair.
- 2014-04-14: Lechal Smart Shoes Update
- 2014-04-08: Toyota Sports Drive Logger Replays Circuit Runs At Home
- 2014-04-02: TomTom Runner Cardio GPS Sport Watch Announced
- 2014-03-27: Magellan SmartGPS 5390 Announced
- 2014-03-06: HereO Watch Helps Parents Keep Tabs On Their Kids
- 2013-06-24: Garmin Announces Monterra Android-Powered Handheld GPS
- 2012-10-04: TomTom for Android makes its way into the Google Play store
- 2012-08-29: TomTom for Android to be announced at IFA
- 2011-04-19: Philips GoGear Connect MP4 Player runs on Android
- 2011-01-07: Samsung Galaxy Player YP-G50 Preview