Barnes & Noble just released version 1.5 of its firmware for the e-ink Nook. The firmware brings a number of enhancements to the e-ink electronic book reader, most notably faster page turn speeds and the ability to sync where you’ve left off in your book with other devices and platforms running the Nook software. The company also updated its Nook app for Android, taking that to version 2.4, which brings with it the ability to highlight and create notes, along with an in-app browser for in-app shopping so you can buy more digital books. Full features of the Nook 1.5 firmware update after the jump.
- Sync current reading position across devices. Sync across all NOOK eReaders and devices enabled with NOOK software and apps, including iPad, iPhone/iPod touch, Android smartphones and PC.
- Customize folders and group content for My B&N Library. The My Shelves feature enables users to organize B&N Libraries by a particular subject or theme, on easy-to-organize, easily-accessible Shelves .
- Password protection option for purchases made on a NOOK device. Customers can require their Barnes & Noble account password be entered before NOOK authorizes any content download (purchases, samples and free books). This is a helpful feature customers requested for NOOKs that are shared among family members, students in a class and company employees).
- Pass code security for the NOOK. Customers can configure NOOK to lock the screen after a certain number of minutes and then require a pass code to unlock it. The pass code security feature will activate each time the NOOK does powers on, awakens form Sleep Mode.
- Faster page turns. Customers can enjoy a 50% faster turn rate than the previous version.
- Improved search functionality that includes My Documents (side-loaded content) in the results.
- Additional battery and other performance enhancements
Next Story: I-Way offers revolutionary method in simulation
- 2014-03-13: Nook App For Windows Halted
- 2014-02-26: Next Generation NOOK Tablet Is In The Pipeline
- 2014-02-10: Barnes & Noble Fired Nook Engineering Staff [Rumor]
- 2014-01-09: Barnes & Noble Sees Dismal Nook Sales During Holiday Season
- 2013-12-02: E Ink Introduces Fina E-Reader
- 2013-11-11: NOOK GlowLight Has A Hidden Browser
- 2012-04-12: Barnes & Noble to launch front-lit Nook e-reader?
- 2010-12-06: Borders Looking to Acquire Rival Barnes & Noble to Capture E-Book Market