ProcessOne is launching its new version of its iPhone application TextOne, that allows users to chat and send messages from their phones for free ($0.99/€0.79 flat fee or free ad supported app), like most mobile IM apps. The version 2.0 allows users to chat with their GTalk contacts and is now able to find friends on Facebook. The cool new feature is the integration of e-mails directly into the instant messaging conversations, it means that users can chat by sending emails, even with people who do not have a TextOne account.
Update: We previously used the title “Open Source”, but it was a mistake, we meant to say “Open Protocol”, which means that other people can write inter-operable IM systems, but the source code of TextOne is not available for other to use.
As you can see in the picture (left), people can now integrate photos in their discussions as well. The company has also developed its own ad format because they were not happy with the traditional mobile ad network offering: “too intrusive” said CEO Mickael Remond. See an example at the top of the conversation list in the picture, on the right.
There are many iPhone IM apps and I have not tested this one yet, I will update my article when I do. TextOne version 2.0 is currently in the approval process in the Appstore, it would probably be available at the end of the week:
New features include:
- Ability to insert photos in chat sessions
- E-mails integration in TextOne chat
- Supports GTalk
- Find Facebook friends who are TextOne users
Other features include:
- Push support and offline messages
- No per message cost
- No complex procedures for accepting contacts
- No presence or status
- Privacy: no need to use your telephone number, which helps to keep your number private.
- Therefore, this app can be used on iPod Touch and iPad.
- Connect TextOne contacts to the address book to obtain contact names and photos.
|Key Specs||iPhone 4|
|Max. Total Storage Capacity||32 GB|
|Battery Capacity (mAh)||1420 mAh|
|Complete product data||Apple iPhone 4 Full specs and details|