Reuters has inside information suggesting that Microsoft is about to launch a video subscription service for the XBox 360. Nobody knows exactly how this will work yet and Microsoft has several options. The first one is to become a virtual cable operator and charge for bundles of channels. This is an established model that networks are familiar with. There’s also the possibility to create one app per channel, a little bit like what Roku does. Let’s not forget that Hulu+ is coming to an Xbox 360 near you as well.
At the very least, Microsoft will get what other platforms already have: apps like Hulu or Netflix (and a revenue cut). More importantly, how would *you* like the Xbox 360 video service to be?
Next Story: Nintendo Game Boy Web App
- 2011-05-20: Video Game Urinal that actually flushes
- 2011-04-27: The Best of Mobile Music - @LifeScoop
- 2008-10-03: Fujisoft Video-On-Demand for the Wii (live video)
- 2009-11-19: Sony Turnaround Plan: We see 3-D as a pillar of our strategy
- 2010-06-01: Hulu Coming To Xbox Live At E3?