The folks over at Google seem to enjoy performing all sorts of wacky experiments and now they’ve set up seven Styrofoam beer coolers, each containing the Nexus S that you’re so hyped up about and lifted it to the edge of space, dangling beneath large helium-filled weather balloons. If you’re wondering why Google is gifting phones to the heavens, the team is apparently curious to see how well the phone’s sensors cope with the freezing cold near-vacuum. In order to track and recover the balloons, the coolers have been fitted with a dedicated GPS transponder, a radio transmitter and an antenna that will broadcast location and altitude. Of course, you could still wish and hope that it will eventually land in your back yard and you can feign innocence. Video after the jump.
- Vivo Sends Out Invites For Xplay 3S Event In China
- Oppo Teases Find 7 As "Coming Soon"
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Lite Reportedly Enters Production
- Samsung Loses iOS Embargo And Request For Damages In South Korea
- Moto X And Moto G Orders Delayed For Some Due To Winter Storm Dion
- Follow: Google, nexus s, space,
- Seen at: newscientist