Here’s an interesting tidbit of news – when someone asked LG’s US mobile team concerning having Facebook on the Optimus One as well as when Android 2.3 Gingerbread will arrive, LG’s answer was “the minimum requirements for Gingerbread require 1GHz processor” – which translates to not having an update in the works. Of course, there are two sides to a coin as always, where Android engineer Romain Guy claimed otherwise on Twitter, saying “there’s no hard minimum processor requirement for Gingerbread… trust me, if there were I’d know.” Well, what do you think of the whole situation? Is it a storm in a teacup, or something more?
Update: LG was wrong, and Romain Guy is correct – Android 2.3 Gingerbread isn’t shackled by a 1GHz minimum processor requirement, so those of you running on something lesser can still heave a sigh of relief.
Update 2: LG has contacted us with this official answer:
LG released information prematurely regarding the minimum processor upgrade requirements for the LG Optimus. Google recently announced the Gingerbread platform and has not yet published the Gingerbread Compatibility Definition Document (CDD) or the public branch open source code. Once the CDD and the source code is public, LG will evaluate the upgradability of the Optimus Series. We apologize for any confusion or misunderstanding. We will alert you as soon as more information on this topic is available. [Link]
- 2014-04-24 LG G Flex Handles 1,000lbs Of Pressure Without Breaking A Sweat
- 2014-04-24 LG G3 Case Gives A Hint Of What’s To Come
- 2014-04-24 LG V700 And V400 Tablets Spotted At The FCC
- 2014-04-23 LG SoundPlate Enhances Your Home Theater Experience
- 2014-04-23 LG Files For "W Watch" Trademark
- 2011-11-14 LG Optimus 3D receives enhanced Android 2.3 Gingerbread update
- 2011-10-31 LG Optimus 2X to get Android 2.3 Gingerbread update after all
- 2011-07-26 T-Mobile G2X finally receives Gingerbread today
- 2011-07-18 LG Optimus 3D to get 2D to 3D conversion for apps with Gingerbread
- 2011-05-26 T-Mobile G2x Gingerbread arriving this summer