Barnes & Noble has announced that the Nook has officially become their “Biggest Bestseller” – ever (B&N is a 40-year old company). B&N has announced that the Nook Color has been selling very well and is the number one selling gift of the holiday season. And of course, the sales of NOOKbooks have been tracking the hardware sales: one million have been sold on Christmas day alone – that’s what happens when everyone start their Nook for the first time on the same day.
But there’s no denying that the Nook is a very cool device, at an affordable $149 price (for the WiFi version). Additionally, B&N is not really out to make a profit on the hardware sales as their business is and remains… books – whether they are electronic or not. But the competition isn’t standing still: Amazon is copying some of the popular Nook features such as book lending, and although Amazon is a giant that one should not under-estimate, the Nook Color is the cooler book reader, for now.
But we simply don’t know what’s behind those numbers. It is the biggest bestseller ever, sure, but in what terms? units? profits? or gross revenues. We suspect that it is the latter. In the end, B&N will have to stay ahead in terms of offering and services in order to execute the end-game: raise the bottom-line.
Next Story: RIP Kodachrome
- 2014-03-13 Nook App For Windows Halted
- 2014-02-26 Next Generation NOOK Tablet Is In The Pipeline
- 2014-02-10 Barnes & Noble Fired Nook Engineering Staff [Rumor]
- 2014-01-09 Barnes & Noble Sees Dismal Nook Sales During Holiday Season
- 2013-11-11 NOOK GlowLight Has A Hidden Browser
- 2011-12-20 "Lite" Ubuntu runs on the NOOK Tablet
- 2011-12-12 NOOK Color v.1.4.1 update released
- 2011-11-21 NOOK Tablet gets the teardown treatment
- 2011-11-16 Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet ships early
- 2011-08-23 Barnes & Noble expands Newsstand selection with NOOK Color update