The Segway might or might not be the coolest mode of transportation, depending on your preferences, but there’s no denying that they’re fairly expensive. If you’ve always wanted to own one but couldn’t find the funds, perhaps you might want to put your DIY skills to good use.
A project dubbed Segstick is available online, giving you detailed instructions on how to come up with your own Segway unit. The project uses cheap materials such as a broomstick, two DeWalt cordless drills to power it, and 6-inch wheels. Of course, it doesn’t look as polished as a real Segway, but it’s probably something you could come up with over the weekend with minimal cost.
- 2012-06-07 The Folding Electric Vehicle concept looks like a more comfortable alternative to the Segway
- 2011-10-17 Dexter Industries Inertial Motion Unit lets you create balancing robot Segways
- 2011-07-26 DIY Segway costs just €300
- 2011-06-16 Tilto: the DIY Segway
- 2011-02-15 Solowheel outrides Segway
- 2010-03-22 Self-balancing skateboard robot