Never mind that Steve Jobs will be taking a step backwards in his official capacity at Apple to concentrate on his health – we know that the company’s roadmap for the year ahead is more or less set in stone, what with the iPad 2 and iPhone 5 being prepared for the masses. Well, word has it that the iPad 2′s alleged 2048-by-1536 resolution Retina Display could very well be powered by a dual-core graphics processor, or “GPU”. Think of this as SLI/Crossfire inside a chip.The iPhone 5 will also run on the (tentatively named) A5 chip, which is Apple’s very own upgrade and successor to their A4 that currently makes sure the iPad, the iPhone 4, the Apple TV, and the fourth-generation iPod touch will run with nary a hitch.
The A5 will be a system-on-a-chip (SoC) design which is touted to comprise of two different parts – one being a multicore ARM Cortex-A9 processor, while being paired with an Imagination Technologies PowerVR SGX543MP2 graphics and video core (MP2 means that there are two SGX543 graphics cores on the same die/package). This could produce 3X the graphics performance of the iPhone 4 or iPad (on paper, at least).
It’s probable that iPad 2 gets multi-GPUs, but the iPhone 5 won’t, for thermal and power consumption reasons.
We can only wait, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the next iterations of either device will definitely be developed with the intention of blowing your mind away.
Next Story: Dadam Riplus mouse looks weird
- 2014-04-22 Fading Carrier Subsidies May Hit High-End Smartphones
- 2014-04-22 5.5-inch iPhone Delayed To 2015 [Rumor]
- 2014-04-21 Google Glass SMS iPhone Support Coming Soon
- 2014-04-17 Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16 Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2011-04-06 Teens expect iPhone in the coming year
- 2011-03-10 The iPhone 5 Will Use The A5 Processor (Opinion)
- 2011-03-10 iPhone 5 confirmed to have a dual-core processor
- 2011-01-24 Pegatron to make 10M initial iPhone 5 units
- 2011-01-24 Apple iPad 2 production starts next month, iPhone 5 this May