[CES 2010] Dolby is coming to CES with an enhanced surround sound technology for our beloved computers, so we can treat our ears with the ultimate audio experience while playing or working on the PC. The fourth generation of the Dolby PC Entertainment Experience program offers two different products: Dolby Home Theater v4 delivers immersing surround sound and high fidelity audio for entertainment content, and Dolby Advanced Audio v2 provides consistent listening experience and virtual surround sound via built-in PC speakers as well as high-fidelity audio entertainment content.
The first products featuring the latest Dolby PC Entertainment Experience will be the new Acer Aspire Ethos notebooks, which Dolby will demonstrate at CES, and the Acer Aspire Z Series all-in-one PCs.
I have listened to the new Dolby PC surround sound at the Dolby HQ in San Francisco, and, compared to the regular sound provided by the built-in speakers, Dolby’s technology delivers better audio quality. You can hear for yourself at the Dolby booth at CES (Central Hall, booth 7853).
Dolby Home Theater v4 features include (from the press release):
Surround Decoder: converts stereo content into 5.1- or 7.1-channel surround sound and converts 5.1 surround sound into 7.1 surround sound
Surround Virtualizer: creates a virtualized surround sound experience over the PC’s built-in speakers or over headphones
Dialogue Enhancer: improves intelligibility of dialogue across all types of content
Volume Leveler: maintains a consistent volume across all content and applications according to where the user sets the volume level
Volume Maximizer: boosts the level of the audio signal so users can turn up the volume without causing noise or clipping
Intelligent Equalizer: monitors and adjusts audio to match the user’s chosen preset
Graphic Equalizer: lets consumers tailor audio to their exact specifications using high-quality digital filtering
Dolby Digital Output: provides real-time encoding of PC content into the Dolby Digital format over S/PDIF or HDMI™ outputs; users can then enjoy audio content from their PCs in surround sound on their home theater systems
Audio Optimizer: improves the frequency response of the PC’s built-in speakers so content sounds true to the creator’s intent
Audio Regulator: eliminates or reduces distortion caused by the combination of overdriven speakers and amplifiers
Dolby Advanced Audio v2 offers
Surround Virtualizer (for built-in speakers),
Next Story: Korean carriers not hot on the Nexus S
- 2014-03-23: Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Technology Coming To Smartphones & Tablets
- 2012-06-26: Dolby's 64 speaker Atmos technology can be heard in Disney/Pixar's Brave movie
- 2012-05-04: Dolby Digital Plus to be featured in Windows 8
- 2012-04-16: Dolby Sound Enhancement gets ported onto the Samsung Galaxy 3
- 2011-11-01: Nokia Lumia 800 no longer has Dolby Digital Plus?
- 2011-05-30: Asus MeMo glasses-free 3D tablet at Computex 2011
- 2011-01-16: Samsung RMC30D1 touchscreen remote control visits the FCC
- 2011-01-12: 3D TV Schizophrenia @ CES
- 2011-01-10: CES Trends That You Should Not Miss
- 2011-01-10: Sony OLED VR goggles make you look like Geordi La Forge from Star Trek