Last year we talked a lot about Microsoft setting a 5 million unit sales target for its motion-sensitive Kinect sensor. Now Microsoft’s CEO, Steve Ballmer, has made a rather impressive announcement at CES. According to him, not only did Microsoft achieve its sales goal of 5 million units by the end of 2010, the company exceeded it by a wide margin. During the first 60 days of the Kinect’s availability, over 8 million units were sold, confirming that the Kinect is a hit. Of course, many folks out there are still amazed by the innovative uses of the sensor that have come from the hacking community, which is definitely contributing to some of the interest in the Kinect.
- 2014-04-02: New Kinect For Windows Is Official, Arrives This Summer
- 2014-03-27: Microsoft Kinect For Windows Hardware Version 2 Unveiled
- 2014-03-24: Ballmer Might Leave Microsoft For Good
- 2014-02-03: Kinect Guards The Korean Border
- 2013-12-31: 3D Printing Service Uses Your Kinect To Make Mini Figurines Of Yourself
- 2013-12-27: NASA Engineers Use Oculus Rift And Kinect 2 To Control Robots