While many manufacturers out there are busy coming up with tablet devices, one company still hasn’t provided a tablet device for us, and that is Sony. Now whispers are going around that Sony is planning to come up with a 9.4-inch tablet device, codenamed the S1. This Android-powered tablet is being led by the VAIO organization, but it might be launched as a Sony product without the VAIO branding. Sony will be including some of its popular custom transitions and UI elements and the tablet is focused on Qriocity, Sony’s music, games, ebooks and videos on demand service that was recently launched in Europe. The tablet will apparently be preloaded with PS One games, a Bravia Media Remote and PlayStation integration of some sort.
The tablet features a “wrap” design that is supposed to resemble an open paperback or magazine, similar to the way we’d hold such an item. The design is touted to give the display a proper angle to comfortably touch-type when placed on a table and also makes one-handed operation less stressful. The tablet is touted to be about the same size and weight as the iPad, but might feel lighter, since most of the weight is shifted to the user’s hand. The display features a 1,280 x 800 pixel resolution and the tablet houses a Tegra 2 chip inside it, along with a USB port.
The Wi-Fi-only version of the S1 was originally supposed to match the iPad’s price point, but it’s been said the price has been increased to $599 and will be shipping in September. Sony has yet to give any official details on this, so we might never see such a product, but we’ve got our fingers crossed.
Next Story: Sony TRIMASTER EL OLED monitors arrive in Japan
- 2014-04-23 PS Vita Gamers Can Download Their PSP And PSone Libraries
- 2014-04-21 Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet Goes On Sale In The U.S.
- 2014-04-21 Sony Pictures Register BioShock Movie Domains
- 2014-04-20 Sony Patents Self-Washing Robot
- 2014-04-20 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Play Edition To Get Android 4.4.3 KitKat (Rumor)
- 2011-08-23 Sony Tablet S is Sony S1
- 2011-08-04 Android 3.2 Honeycomb to arrive on Sony S1 and S2
- 2011-07-15 Sony S1 and Sony S2 Preview (Android Tablets)
- 2011-07-12 Sony S1 tablet up for pre-order on September 1st in the UK
- 2011-04-25 Sony S1 and S2 tablets announced