IDC has looked into their crystal ball, and have come up with a rather interesting prediction – that Google’s Android operating system will be able to maintain their lead until 2015, although Microsoft’s Windows Phone will pip the iPhone to second place. Android should be able to chomp up 39.5% this year but experience modest gains four years down the road, while Nokia’s Windows Phone switch might end up reversing its situation and Symbian’s predicted 20.9% share this year over to Windows Phone by 2015. As for the iPhone, it would definitely overtake BlackBerry this year, and IDC goes out on a limb to say that its market share will also drop. Of course, bear in mind that these are just predictions from IDC, and their track record in crystal ball gazing hasn’t been impressive to say the least.
Next Story: Acer Iconia now available for pre-order
- 2013-08-05: IDC Survey: iPad Continues To Lose Market Share
- 2013-03-12: Android May Lead Tablet Market Share in 2013 [IDC]
- 2013-02-14: Android And iOS Capture 91.1% Global Market Share
- 2011-12-09: Analyst predicts iPad 3 to be released in February 2012
- 2011-11-14: Developers starting to show more interest in Windows Phone
- 2011-03-29: IDC predicts Windows Phone will overtake iOS market share by 2015