Garmin has just announced that their OpenCaching.com geocaching service, is now available as an app on Android and iOS. In case you were wondering, geocaching is a game that was apparently invented by pirates. Back in the days when people hid their treasure, they marked a spot so that they could find it again. Geocaching works in the same way. Played by people all over the world, participants can choose to create caches of their own or go hunting for caches placed by other people. Usually most of these caches are usually just weatherproof boxes with a pen and notebook inside for people to sign when they discover it, others could be more elaborate i.e. a disposable camera etc. Garmin’s website OpenCaching.com lets people mark these spots on the map for other people to discover or to use the map to locate other caches nearby.
Previously people downloaded the maps to load them into their own GPS devices, but starting from today, users won’t have to lug around a dedicated GPS unit to locate treasure – downloading the app for their iOS or Android device will be sufficient. Garmin’s OpenCaching app is a simplified version of the website and allows users to search for geocaches frim their phone itself. The awesome meter used to describe the cache is also available, so people will know whether it’s worth their time to locate a particular cache or not. The OpenCaching app is free and is available now from the Android Market and App Store or find out more about OpenCaching. Any geocache hunters here?
- 2014-04-17: Flickr 3.0 Brings Filters, Editing Tools And More
- 2014-02-24: Garmin Xperia Edition App's SmartWatch 2 Extension Brings Navigation To Your Wrist
- 2014-02-20: Garmin Reportedly Set To Launch Navigation App For Sony SmartWatch 2
- 2014-01-16: Apple And Google Remove Plastic Surgery Game From Their App Stores
- 2014-01-15: News Republic 4.0 Features Smart Recommendations
- 2014-01-06: Garmin First nüvi With Wireless Backup Camera
- 2014-01-06: Garmin Launches Dash Cam 10 And 20 With Automatic Incident Detection
- 2014-01-06: Garmin Announces Vívofit, A Stylish And Lightweight Fitness Band
- 2013-11-26: Assassin's Creed Pirates Headed Onto iOS And Android December 5th
- 2013-10-31: Angry Birds Developer Releases Match-3 Puzzle Game On iOS, Android