It was bound to happen. BGR has photos of what is believed to be an prototype iPhone 4 (and white too!) running on T-Mobile USA’s 3G network. This isn’t an unlocked iPhone 4 job. Nope, if it wasn’t a bona-fide iPhone with the proper T-Mobile USA’s antennas, that little 3G would only display E for EDGE speed.
As BGR states, it is a bit late for Apple to be releasing an iPhone 4 on T-Mobile USA. It’s more likely that Apple is testing hardware to prepare for AT&T’s buyout of T-Mobile. If the merger does go through successfully without any issues, then dropping an iPhone that supports both AT&T and T-Mobile’s 3G would be very important.
Of course, Apple is always testing new stuff. It’d be foolish of them to ignore entire wireless networks. Even before the iPhone 4 landed on Verizon, it was discovered that Apple had been working with CDMA frequencies to test a possible CDMA iPhone. In the long run, an iPhone for every network in the U.S. is what Apple is shooting for.
While an iPhone 4 might not be coming out on T-Mobile USA just yet, it is a good sign of things to come. Perhaps they might get the iPhone 4S/5.
- 2014-04-17: Is Steve Ballmer Using An iPhone Now? (Debunked & Updated)
- 2014-04-16: Alleged iPhone Case "Confirms" Repositioned Buttons
- 2014-04-15: Apple Participates In Smartphone Anti-Theft Voluntary Program
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Batteries Spotted On Production Tray
- 2014-04-15: Alleged iPhone 6 Front Panel Photo Surfaces
- 2013-10-21: T-Mobile Tweets His Love Of The Galaxy Note 3 From His iPhone
- 2013-09-10: T-Mobile Will Reportedly Offer The New iPhone At Launch
- 2013-08-09: T-Mobile iPhone Not Responsible For Subscription Surge, CEO Says
- 2013-08-08: T-Mobile Will Soon Offer A "Whole Array" Of Apple Products
- 2013-08-04: iPhone Might Have Saved T-Mobile From Losing At Least 400,000 Subscribers