Tony Hawk is not giving up on making video games. After working with Activision to develop two underwhelming skateboard games: Tony Hawk Ride and Tony Hawk Shred, Hawk says that the games will be returning next year. Any gamer who’s played the terrible Tony Hawk Ride and Shred (I’m cringing at the thought of Ride) will wonder why the Birdman is doing another skateboarding video game. Isn’t grinding on rails, curbs and half pipes so over? Apparently not because Hawk says he’s “in the middle of a whole new plan right now.” To me, the best Hawk game is and will alway be Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 (it’s available on iPhone now) – a game that brought extreme sports games onto the center arena. Tony Hawk 3, 4 and Downhill Jam were an upsetting departure from the game’s mechanics and a failed attempt to upstage rival skateboard game, Skate. Let’s hope Hawk and crew ditch the silly motion skateboard and return to its roots next year – it’ll be for the better.
- 2013-11-11: Classic Video Game Controller Ornaments Pay Homage To Controllers Of Yesteryear
- 2013-11-08: Video Games Can Enlarge Parts Of The Human Brain [Study]
- 2013-01-11: Video Game Retail Sales Down 22 Percent From 2011
- 2011-12-02: BP considering going into video game sales
- 2011-10-24: Video games could treat lazy eye