The fact that Motorola is working on a device powered by an NVIDIA Tegra 3 chip (aka Kal-El) would not surprise me for a second. After all, the Tegra-2 powered Atrix (check our Atrix Review) is one of the most powerful Android device on the market, so a sequel of some sort is a given – especially because Motorola can leverage some of the code written earlier. The question is: where is the development at, and most importantly, is this the first image of the next-generation Motorola smartphone?
From the photo, this looks like a cousin of the Droid X (don’t miss our Droid X review), and to be honest, even for a leak, the photos are pretty bad. Unless the person who shot the photos was being “tazzed” by Motorola’s security guards when he/she took it, this is pretty bad photography. But bad photography make induce a good discussion: First, Motorola has had silver-colored test devices before. Secondly, if we look at the thickness of the device, this could mean that the internals and/or the battery are quite big. Why would the battery be big?
Quad-core! you might think. Probably not. NVIDIA is committed to keep the power envelope relatively stable, so I might bet 4G LTE (Verizon or AT&T?) or it could have a big retina display (the Atrix’s qHD is close enough). Or maybe it simply has a long battery life? To be fair, any of those would be really cool, and all would be delicious
In any case, the info is too thin to have some real leg, but it reminds us a couple of things: 1/ quad-cores will appear on Tablets this summer, NVIDIA said. 2/ Smartphones might show up as early as late this year, so 2012 will be the year of quad-core smartphones, that’s pretty much a given. Freescale and Qualcomm are also working on quad-core solutions, although NVIDIA is poised to come to market with a comfortable advance.
If you’re not familiar with the Tegra chips, check my Tegra 2 overview and the NVIDIA Kal-El (Tegra 3) primer that were published earlier this year. In the meantime, tell us what you think of quad-core phones? Does it seem like an important feature to you, or would you rather have something else first?
Next Story: Facebook Deals is On
- 2014-04-14: 2012 Droid Family To Get Android 4.4 KitKat In The Near Future
- 2014-04-08: First Working Project Ara Prototype To Be Ready This Month
- 2014-04-06: Leather Could Be An Option For Next-Gen Moto X [Rumor]
- 2014-04-06: Moto X Successor Might Be Called Moto X + 1
- 2014-04-02: The Moto G Forte Is Actually The Moto G With A Grip Shell Case
- 2012-01-12: Fujitsu shows off prototype Tegra 3 quad-core phone
- 2011-12-05: ASUS Padfone to come shipped with NVIDIA's Tegra 3 instead
- 2011-11-30: ASUS Transformer Prime gets official release date for 8th of December (Updated)
- 2011-11-29: Acer and Lenovo to debut quad-core tablets in 2012
- 2011-11-22: ASUS Transformer Prime now up for pre-order