Rumor has it that the Wii 2 or whatever it will be called is going to scrap the annoying Friend Code system. According to gaming site 1Up’s Sam Kennedy, “there will be no Friend Codes” in Nintendo’s next console. If true, Nintendo gamers will finally be able to let out a sigh of relief.
Anyone who’s gamed on Nintendo’s Wii or DS game systems knows that entering long string of 12 digits just to play with friends online is a pain in the butt. The Nintendo 3DS did away with them, instead opting for one Friend Code per system, instead of per game.
Gamerant speculates that doing away with the Friend Codes could put Nintendo back in the running against Sony’s PlayStation Network and Microsoft’s Xbox Live online gaming services that offer robust buddy lists and instant messaging between friends.
Nintendo’s next console will reportedly attempt to do a lot of things: be more powerful than an Xbox 360 and PS3, have a touchscreen on its controller and output 1080p HD graphics, but if it can’t catch up with Sony and Microsoft’s online multiplayer offerings, then I’m afraid it never will. Nintendo has a chance to really show us that it finally gets online gaming and if true, ditching the Friend Codes will be a great start.
Next Story: T-Mobile Bobsled is temporarily suspended
- 2011-06-06 Nintendo Wii successor might just be known as Nintendo
- 2011-06-03 Nikkei 'confirms' Wii 2 controller has 6-inch touchscreen
- 2011-05-24 Activision remains coy on Modern Warfare 3 for Nintendo consoles
- 2011-05-20 Is this really the Wii 2's shape?
- 2011-05-19 Nintendo Wii 2 sneak peek a fake?
- 2011-05-16 Is this a list of Wii 2 games in development?
- 2011-05-12 Ubisoft indirectly spills the beans on Wii 2's power
- 2011-04-25 The best Wii 2 mock-ups so far are probably fake
- 2011-04-22 Miyamoto says HD is next logical step, something totally new coming