It has recently been made public that Yahoo! has acquired a minor startup company named IntoNow. IntoNow are the creators of the iOS TV check-in app that launched just a few months ago. The IntoNow app, which recognizes the audio of the show you’re watching, identifies it, tags it and puts it up on your social networks for everyone to see what you’re listening to is like some sort of Foursquare – but for TV.
While it isn’t clear what Yahoo! will be doing with IntoNow, in the press release it is mentioned that “The addition of IntoNow will enable Yahoo! to provide enhanced media experiences and video programming, bolstering its social engagement across the Yahoo! network and on all screens.” The folks over at PC World believe that with the power of IntoNow’s app, Yahoo! will be able to create a whole new platform for targeted advertising.
Imagine this: you see an ad for a particular pizza restaurant on TV, and because IntoNow knows what you’re watching, it can push a discount coupon or promo offer for that pizza place to your phone at that very moment. This form of advertising could prove to be pretty successful. What do you think? Check out IntoNow for free on the App Store.
- 2014-04-16 Yahoo Wants To Become iOS' Default Search
- 2014-04-15 Yahoo And Vevo Partner Up For Original Music Programming
- 2014-04-07 Yahoo Planning To Acquire High-End Original Programming [Report]
- 2014-04-02 Yahoo Works On Encrypting Their Services
- 2014-04-01 Yahoo's Charge Against YouTube May Be Fuelled By $300 Million Acquisition
- 2014-02-06 No New Flickr App For Windows Phone Anytime Soon
- 2013-12-18 Leaked Video Shows Yahoo's Plans For Voice-Controlled Personal Assistant [Updated]
- 2013-05-14 Watch ABC Live TV Streaming App Released For iOS
- 2013-05-13 ABC TV Live Stream App Reportedly Launching This Week
- 2013-04-18 Yahoo Mail, Weather Apps Released For iPad