Zoom has just released their R8 portable music production solution that is actually an 8-track recording device complete built-in stereo microphones that you can carry with you on the go. Doubling up as an audio interface for your computer, this device offers a mouse-free control surface for digital audio workstation (DAW) software and an eight voice pad sampler.
A quartet of AA batteries is said to provide enough juice to keep the R8 running for slightly more than 5 hours, but if you choose to remain rooted in your studio, then you can always take advantage of the mains power thanks to the included adapter, or even connect it to a USB port on your machine to draw power from there.
Measuring a mere 10 x 7.5 x 2-inch (257 x 190 x 51 mm) in size, this 8-track recorder is able to capture a couple of simultaneous tracks while playing back up to eight tracks. An omnidirectional condenser microphone on either side of the device’s interface will be able to deliver spur-of-the-moment recording, while the two balanced XLR/0.25-inch combination inputs will see action when you plug in external microphones and/or instruments. The SDHC memory card is the media of choice to store all your recorded tracks.
Expect to fork out around $418 for this if you’re so inclined.
- 2013-06-14: iOS 7 Will Allow For Zooming In While Recording Video
- 2011-11-03: Zoom H2n Handy Recorder is now available
- 2011-07-13: Zoom H2n Handy Recorder: the next generation of portable recording
- 2011-04-17: Zoom R8 portable music production solution
- 2011-03-17: Zoomin Watch magnifies the time
- 2011-02-08: Olympus announces its SZ-10 superzoom, along with the VR-330 and VG-110 compacts