Wow, it looks like Apple’s competitors have got a long way to go to play catch up with. The Cupertino-based company has hit a new milestone: The Apple App Store now has over 500,000 apps approved for the App Store according to a report by Chomp, 148apps.com and Chillingo. The last known public figure that Apple released about the number of apps available on the App Store has been 350,000 – so this 500,000 figure is new. But even if 500,000 was off the mark, it would be safe to say that the other app stores still have got a long way to go regardless. None of the other competing app stores are even hitting 300,000 apps yet, so Apple still has a massive lead.
In addition to the 500,000 figure, some other interesting numbers were released:
- Angry Birds is the most popular paid app of all time: it has spent 275 days at #1, while the second most popular app, The Moron Test, has only spent 38 days at #1!
- Gartner predicts that there will be 15 billion+ apps sold in 2011 for all tablets and phones, 17.7 billion app downloads and a 190% revenue increase over 2010.
- The average price of a paid app is $3.64 – a huge difference from the $4-6 it used to be when the App Store was first launched in 2008.
Check out the full report/infographic.
- 2014-01-30: Intel AppUp Bids Adieu
- 2014-01-07: Apple App Store Downloads Top $10 Billion
- 2013-12-16: 'No Better' Lorde Single Given Away Free By Apple
- 2013-11-26: Apple Tweaks App Store Search Engine To Disregard Spelling Mistakes
- 2013-09-17: Apple Allows Aging iOS Devices To Download Last Compatible Version Of Apps
- 2013-08-01: Google Play Store Has More App Downloads Than Apple App Store
- 2013-07-03: Apple App Store Celebrates 5th Anniversary
- 2013-01-22: Apple Removes 500px Photo Sharing App From App Store
- 2012-06-21: Apple expands App Store reach to another 32 more countries
- 2012-06-08: Retina-ready apps to flood the App Store soon?