It looks like Motorola Droid X users won’t have to wait too long to get their hands on the tasty Gingerbread update for their phones. According to a Motorola employee’s response to an impatient customer on the Motorola Support forum, the Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) will be here before the second quarter of the year ends though they can’t say exactly when. Here’s what the post said:
“I can say that the Droid X update is currently scheduled to be released before the end of the second quarter of this year or sooner. The other updates are currently scheduled to be released before the end of the third quarter or sooner.
The above estimates are dependant on Verizon approving the OTA (over the air) updates.”
Judging by what the spokesperson said, it looks like the update is good to go and all it just needs is the green light to be rolled out over the air. If it makes anyone feel better, the Droid X2 that hits retail outlets tomorrow will be launched with Android 2.2, with an update to Gingerbread promised to arrive soon as well. Maybe Motorola has plans to roll out both updates at the same time.
- 2013-06-03: Jelly Bean Figures Catch Up With Gingerbread
- 2012-02-01: Samsung Infuse 4G finally receives Gingerbread
- 2012-01-10: Samsung Captivate (finally) gets Android 2.3 Gingerbread
- 2011-12-29: Huawei U8800 Ideos X5 gets Gingerbread
- 2011-12-12: More photos of Sony Ericsson's Xperia Arc HD (Nozomi) surface
- 2011-06-02: Motorola Droid X Gingerbread update bricks some phones
- 2011-05-25: Gingerbread arriving on Droid X this Friday
- 2011-05-11: Droid X Gingerbread update arriving soon?
- 2011-04-12: New Motorola Droid X Gingerbread update leaked
- 2011-03-24: Droid X rumored to receive Gingerbread this Sunday