The LAPD has just received a new car to add to its arsenal and man it is chockfull of technology. The Chevrolet Caprice PPV (Police Patrol Vehicle) is full of the latest gadgets that help police track suspects, while it is well built internally to make sure cops drive comfortably as well. Even suspects in the rear get cutouts to accommodate their hands if they’ve got cuffs on.
The car packs a 6 liter V8 engine that provides 355hp and 384 foot-pounds of torque, and hits 0-60mph in under 6 seconds. It has cameras that can automatically detect license plates (and check whether the car has a history), and a special night vision camera that can track footprints in the dark. It has an onboard computer for keeping track of everything and a GPS tracking system so the police force can keep an eye on where the car is at all times, making dispatching backup an easy task.
With a car this advanced, it’s going to be even harder for criminals to flee the scene easily. Hit the break to watch the video demonstration of the Chevy Caprice PPV shot by the folks at Translogic:
- Newsmy Navigation Announces CarPad II Android-Powered DVD Navigation Tool
- Man Willing To Sell A Testicle For A Nissan 370Z
- Nissan Leaf Owner Arrested For Stealing Five Cents Worth Of Electricity
- Honda Gets Deeper iOS Integration With Display Audio
- Spike Away Vest Keeps You Safe From Cramped Commutes
- Follow: chevrolet, chevy, police,
- Seen at: popsci