Skype sure is some hot property right now – last week we reported that Facebook was rumored to be interested in owning the popular VoIP service for about $3-4 billion. Well today, there’s a new story in the works about the Redmond giant, Microsoft expressing an interest to partner, acquire or invest in Skype.
As to why Microsoft would be interested in such a purchase – sources say that Skype would give Microsoft a huge leg up in their communications department especially with the Windows Phone operating system. Skype, as an app is still missing from Windows Phone 7, despite having made its appearance on iOS and Android for some time now. Microsoft doesn’t need to own Skype for the app to appear, but having Skype under its wing will probably give it an advantage by having the best mobile and even desktop version of the software.
Skype and Microsoft have both declined to comment about such rumors so there’s no word on how true the story is. But if rumors prove to be spot on, we can expect some details very shortly. Stay tuned for more details.RELATED
- Flickr Goes Down As Yahoo Struggles To Get Mail Up And Running
- Gmail To Display Email Images By Default
- Hilarious Video Pokes Fun At Google's Attempt To Force Google+ Onto Everyone
- Man Slapped With $183,000 Fine For Participating In A DDoS Attack For 1 Minute
- Microsoft Entices Gmail Users To Join Outlook.com Through New Tool
- Follow: acquisition, Microsoft, skype, windows, windows phone 7, wp7,
- Seen at: tech2.in